Harley

Harley
Harley likes to help out, especially with digging.

Friday, September 6, 2013

Gas Oven Ignitor Replacement



This is about a not-very-old Frigidaire gas stove that needed some work.  The ignitor - a little gizmo that's supposed to ignite the gas - got weak and there was more gas than there should have been when it finally lit. This caused a "vawhoomp" of all that extra gas lighting. This post shows the repair.



Replacement ignitor.


Easy Off to help un-stick things and make it tolerable in there.

The following sequence of photos shows the dis-assembly to get to the ignitor:








After removing the insulation, I loosened the wires that sit below the insulation, killed power to the oven, then removed the ceramic wire nuts.




I took the wires loose and removed the old ignitor and burner. 


Next, I removed the old and attached the new ignitors.  The instructions said not to touch the new ignitor with bare hands, hence the stylish blue gloves.



I removed the bracket shown to get the burner tube back in.



I ensured that the burner seated fully back over the gas valve. The gas valve is not shown, but sits below the baffle and feeds gas up into the burner which just slides over it.

Working backwards, I reattached the parts.  I try to make a point to keep the fasteners for each piece of whatever I've torn apart separated and stored in some way that I hope to remember so things will go smoothly with no left over fasteners; because that's a crummy feeling, getting through with something and realizing there are fasteners left over!


A tip for replacing screws that you don't want to lose down inside something is to put a little masking tape on the edge of the screw head and over the nut driver as shown.  Magnetized nut drivers would do the trick too.


This solved the problem.. ~Chuck

1 comment:

  1. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. OVEN REPAIR IN CHINO

    ReplyDelete