Harley

Harley
Harley likes to help out, especially with digging.

Friday, September 6, 2013

Jeld-Wen Window Panel Replacement




A rock tossed from a Weedeater left a crack in this fixed window. This post describes the process of replacing it. The vinyl trim around the outside edge of the window popped out with a putty knife. I bashed out the damaged window with a 2x4 and heavy hammer. I taped it up on both sides and placed an old shower curtain down to help catch glass.



I bought these windows and the majority of the materials for this addition from BMC Lumber (http://www.buildwithbmc.com/), a great local building materials supplier. I will go to them again in the future. Their choice of clear, strong lumber for their trusses speaks volumes.



This is the old tape and glue, removing it took more time than anything else.





I tried numerous cleaners and nothing helped much, but finally tried a pencil eraser and a little WD-40 to get the glaze off the window frame. I followed up with denatured alcohol and ammonia to get all of the oil off.



I picked up structural glazing tape at a window store.



These are the old shims. I snugged these beneath the edge of the glazing tape: they are just sitting there, but I didn't want them in the way of the trim later.



I applied the glazing tape around the perimeter and did a check fit before installing the tape.



The trim clipped in place once it was flush against the glass.



This shows the new window panel. BMC was super helpful with ordering the window panel: they had the Jeld-Wen folks drop the window off at my house and charged only a fourth of the cost of a whole new window. ~Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment